Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cough, Cough

The last few days have been remarkably similar. My cold is not shifting, and I don’t feel very well. On the other hand, it’s not bad enough to stop me from running or going to work, I just feel a distinct lack of energy. Each evening I wonder if I can go running the next day, but come early morning I’m out and about.

Tuesday was the day of my last hill session. I know that the hip pains are most likely connected to running on hills, but I didn’t want to miss the very last of those sessions, especially as I haven’t done as many of them as I probably should have. Can 6 sessions really make a big difference? (For the record, yes, I think they really pushed my pace). Plus, Sunday’s hill session was the only run in the last few days where the hip didn’t actually hurt. The drills themselves were as torturous as always, and after the last one I thought “that’s it, no more hill drills”, but was too knackered to actually celebrate. The fact that it was raining and windy didn’t help the mood either. I did the by now usual 4 repeats, with some bounding over the last two. Bounding really is something else. I tried to concentrate on pushing off forcefully and fully extending my legs, and within seconds my heart rate would shoot up to 180 and more. I couldn’t do it for more than 45 seconds without totally losing form.

I developed another problem on Monday evening, all of a sudden the outside of my right calf started to hurt quite badly. It was a strange problem. It hurt when I was standing, walking or even sitting. The one activity that didn’t hurt was running. It was bad on Monday, felt a bit better on Tuesday and has all but disappeared today, Wednesday. Whenever a runner develops a pain in the legs, it’s only natural to suspect a running-related problem, but I wonder if that particular pain was caused by something else, whatever “something“ may be.

Since I was still feeling under the weather I decided to take it really easy today. The weather forecast had been pretty good, but I when I woke in the middle of the night the rain against the window sounded like someone was playing with a fire hose in a wind tunnel. By the time I got up and left the rain was thankfully reduced to a drizzle, but the wind was still at gale force levels. Such conditions always mean the same thing, a trip to Ard-na-Sidhe. Thank God for that little piece of woodland, it’s the only road that’s somewhat sheltered from the elements. I did take it easy, and actually enjoyed the run, even when the rain started again.

I’m in a bit of a quandary now. I had planned the last of my long double headers for Thursday and Friday, but with my cold and my lingering hip problem that might not be the wisest of actions. Unfortunately I have to set the alarm if I intend to run, and I hate being woken at such an uncivilised hour without the firm commitment to do the workout. After all, who wants to sacrifice precious sleep for nothing? I’ll see how I feel tomorrow. A fortnight ago I ran 20 hilly miles as the second part of a double header when feeling like poop, and afterwards was glad to have done it. Because of my hip problem, tomorrow’s run would be over a reasonably flat course, and should be easier. In all likelihood I’ll get up early and run, and if I feel up to it, I’ll finish what I’ve started.

27 Feb: 4 hill repeats, 1:08:30, avg. HR 151
28 Feb: 7 miles, 58:36, 8:22 pace, avg. HR 145

Mileage for February: 292.5

9 comments:

  1. Maybe the random leg pain is just muscle aches related to your cold. I thought of you this morning - my first run since the half-ass and my legs were sore. I felt uncoordinated and heavy-legged, and I reminded myself of all the times you've mentioned that in your posts and pushed through it. I kept going, but I must admit it was a rough five miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, set the alarm, see what the 1st mile feels like and go from there. Don't be a afraid to take a rest day if you need it. Look at your mileage for Feb! The work is done I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... how much Advil are you taking for all those aches and pains? I'm certainly not in a position to advise you on if you should run tomorrow or not. With the time difference you are probably getting up soon anyway. I suppose you need to judge your running with pain based on if you feel like the injury is long term or just a temporary aberration.

    Run Smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take an objective look at how much you've ramped up the stress on your body over the past several months. Although I'm constantly amazed at what you've accomplished since Dublin, I think you're body may be telling you to back off a tad for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fitness seems good enough that you could just bag the workout if necessary. Sometimes those aches and coughs are just your body trying to get your attention to rest more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Man! Just thought about you this morning cause it was a time for your 20 miler, Part I. And I wanted to ask you a question Mr. "Empty Stomach Vegetarian" - Where did you take All That Energy for your "back-to-back" workouts? Now, you're doubt doing it again. Look, you're just a human, you do not have to Amaze us all the time with your fantastic runs. Even if you do 6 or 8 miles this morning, it doesn't mean that people would respect you less. Get better and recover soon. P.S. February mileage is less than in Jan. The same here. Is it a trend? P.P.S. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric, I don't take Advil or any other pain killers. I believe that if you need painkillers in order to run, you'd better bag the run completely.

    Mike, setting the alarm and seeing how I feel is pretty much what I did today.

    Phil, I kind of agree with you, but since I'm nearly at my taper, I thought I'd be able to push my luck one more time. I can rest once the taper arrives.

    Ruslan, I've come to the conclusion that breakfast immediately before the run does not give you any extra energy. It's the meals from the day before that are important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to agree wit Mike, and now will wait for your recap of a trial run:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you get me right, i'm not against of running on empty, sometimes i do it now (when wake up late :) I even made experiment with that in late 90th.. Less than 1 month to go to your Ultra and you're closer to the Taper - it's gonna be interesting

    ReplyDelete