Wednesday, August 26, 2020

And - It's Off

It's a prediction I would have preferred to be wrong about but as it happens I did call it right: The EcoTrail race has been cancelled. I think it may already have been cancelled when I wrote my last entry but I hadn't heard about it yet.

It had not been a difficult prediction to make and it definitely did not hit me out of the blue but I am still disappointed. I was really looking forward to the race. I happened to speak to Rene the other day and he will put on some "challenges" but I don't know what they will entail yet. I'll see.

The funny thing is, I only signed up to the EcoTrail after the Dublin marathon was cancelled, because initially I had not fancied putting myself through all that suffering yet again. Now that the EcoTrail is no longer on I have actually signed up to the Virtual Dublin marathon, so I've basically come full circle. I'm still not much of a fan of virtual "races", and I definitely won't be doing that one as a proper race (and I won't include it on my list of races on the right hand side) but it's all that's left this year, I'm afraid. 

Ah well.

As a result of all that I didn't head back to the mountains this weekend but did a flat(-ish) road run on Sunday for 2 hours. Grand. I love road running as well, after all.

We've had two Atlantic storms the last week, which is very unusual for August, and, having grown old and soft, did a few more treadmill workouts when the outside world did not seem too inviting. With Zwift, that is actually manageable, totally different to what treadmill running used to be. I also have a couple of planned workouts in my head for the treadmill for future rainy, stormy days; hours of uninterrupted uphill running isn't something I can replicate in the real world, and progression runs on the treadmill are a completely different beast to doing them on the road, so there's added value in that.

Sadly, my indoor cycle trainer seems to have died a few days ago. It had starting to get wonky a couple of weeks ago, the Bluetooth signal was no longer working but I managed to use it via ANT on my mobile, but now it's completely dead and resisting any attempts to send even a single signal, so I gave up on it and ordered a replacement. Actually, an upgrade. Half a year ago I wasn't sure if I would end up actually using it, so I had opted for the cheapest model that still satisfied my requirements, but after 6 months of virtually daily use, sometimes twice, I know it will be used and I'm going a bit more upmarket. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of virtual races either. This year the City to Surf is virtual. Hopefully races will become normal again next year.

    ReplyDelete