Monday, February 03, 2020

M50

Exactly 10 years ago I was actually looking forward to my "significant" birthday. It was exactly at that time that the silverware started flowing - for the next few years, from almost every race I did I brought home some sort of trophy, usually in my age group but sometime even outright.

The glory years lasted about 5, 6 years, and then the decline became too obvious to deny, and since then things have gotten worse rather quickly.

I don't mean to whine or complain, getting older is part of it all and overall I am very happy how things have gone for the last 30 years, and anyway, my running had reached highs I had never even dared to dream about, so what's there to complain about?

However, I was a lot less excited about turning 50. I guess I've reached the stage that most people seem to hit at 30, when the new digit at the front of your age suddenly has become alarmingly high. Ah well. Time to face the fact that I might have started the middle third of my life.

And I've got to run 50k on Saturday. Oh f... But the fact that the distance matches my age is just coincidence. It's my 5th time doing that race.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly I get why you'd be pissed off, but as you said its part of getting older...it does suck though.

    Still, you managed to pull of stuff that many people can only dream of in their lifetime so you've done exceptionally well during your 40's, be damn proud of that.

    I obviously ran much slower then yourself, but I honestly think there is a certain point where the longer distance stuff just burns you out mentally and its hard to get into gear in the same manner.

    ReplyDelete