Sunday, March 31, 2019

Happy Mothers Day!

Every weekend seems to be some special date at the moment, this time we were combining Mothers Day and clocks-going-forward day, which definitely had the potential of messing things up, though with the advent of mobile phones who automatically adjust their clocks it's much less of an issue than it used to be. Showing my age here, I know.

The other thing that shows up my years is the slow pace I'm plodding at most of the times, but I've done more than enough moaning about that particular subject already, so I'll spare you this time. I actually managed a run under 8-minute pace this week, though it mostly just triggered a raised eyebrow or two when I looked at the watch afterwards and noticed it.

With my weeks being really busy at work (if I'm not actively working on customer-related things I'm always studying for yet anther exam), and me being increasingly reluctant to get up before 6 o'clock to run before work, I have two choices for a run during the week: either to/from work, or run at lunchtime. The run-to-work things works very well but it's over 10 miles and with me still coming back from a fairly long lay-off, I can't do that too often yet. And lunchtime runs are always somewhat hurried affairs, with no more than 40 minutes running time, and even that is pushing things. Last week I checked the watch after coming out of the shower and it was 12:57 - and I had a customer call at 13:00! That explains the faster pace and the elevated HR on some days.

The one time I changed things this week was Thursday when I knew in advance that I would not have time for a run, so I indeed got my body out of bed at early o'clock and plodded a few miles. It wasn't a great experience, to be honest - it just felt too early and all I could do was plod along at snails pace, though at least it was good to see the HR in the 130s again.

I know I could run in the evenings, which is what most people seem to do, but it just doesn't suit. I'm home from work late enough as it is, and I'm not particularly inclined to run for an hour or so when I'm starving for dinner already.

Connemara is just 2 weeks away, and normally I would be tapering now, but I haven't done any training that would require tapering from, so I'll just keep going for another week and take it easier next week, that's all. The "race" itself will be interesting. I think I'll be able to get to 20 miles still in one piece, but the second half will be interesting. By the time I reach the "Stop and Pray" church, stopping and praying might seem like as good an idea as any other.
25 Mar
4.8 miles, 40:06, 8:20 pace, HR 147
26 Mar
4.96 miles, 40:06, 8:03 pace, HR 152
27 Mar
10.2 miles, 1:31:46, 8:58 pace, HR 143
28 Mar
6.3 miles, 56:30, 8:57 pace, HR 137
29 Mar
4.84 miles, 38:14, 7:54 pace, HR 151
30 Mar
10 miles, 1:25:36, 8:34 pace, HR 145
31 Mar
14.5 miles, 2:06:26, 8:43 pace, HR 147

2 comments:

  1. Long time observer of the blog. Just came back to it after a few years off running. Really enjoy it. What exams are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished certification for 3 programs in the last year (Data Science, Big Data, AI) and the next next couple of exams might lead to an MCSA, but they just changed the internal certification requirements, so it's a bit wait and see. I'll just do training for stuff that interests me personally instead, or stuff that may be useful for a new role.

      Delete