Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Thank You!

Thanks for the comments to the last post, I was genuinely delighted to see that there is still value in this blog and that there are still runners who enjoy reading it. Thank you! However, Roisin was absolutely correct in pointing out that I've been overplaying the ago card recently. I am actually very much aware of this, but the thing is, I do wonder how much of a factor age is playing into all of the recent issues I've had, especially with the slow recovery.

On the other hand, I could very much feel a distinct improvement in the last week, which I attribute to finally getting over the 24 hours race in June. In the past it has often taken me about a day per mile raced to feel fully recovered from a very long ultra, and funnily enough we're just about there once more. This time I was feeling the effects a lot more than usual but I can definitely feel the difference, just in the last few days. I've got a spring back in my stride and the legs no longer feel stiff, heavy and tired with each step, which is just great and I'm enjoying the fact that running is just fun once more, and I no longer have to struggle from step to step.

Now there's the small matter of the Dublin marathon looming rather large in the not very far distance. I'm sure the smart thing to do would be to cancel it because I know it's going to be one of my slowest ones, it's going to hurt in the last few miles and I'll have to spend weeks in recovery yet again, but doing the smart thing was never my thing, so I've decided to run it - as I knew all along I would, really.

Sunday's long run was very hilly and the first half went very well but the second half gradually turned into a bit of a struggle and the last few miles, especially the final two, uphill ones towards our house weren't all that much fun, but I got it done all the same. It went better than a similar, if slightly shorter run, that I had done before Berlin, so I guess I should be doing a bit better than in Berlin. We shall see!

It's gotten rather cold recently, which most people might be moaning about but personally I love it. I can cycle into or out of work without arriving soaked in sweat (don't worry, there are showers at both ends of the journey) and while I miss running through the crisp, dark morning along Caragh Lake, the Bray Promenade isn't a bad replacement.
12 Oct
10.2 miles, 1:29:29, 8:46 pace, HR 144
13 Oct
6.85 miles, 59:01, 8:36 pace, HR 142
14 Oct
19 miles, 2:53:53, 9:09 pace, HR 142
15 Oct
6.33 miles, 59:30, 9:23 pace, HR 130
16 Oct
4.5 miles, 36:39, 8:10 pace, HR 147

1 comment:

  1. I just started reading your blog Thomas and I'm enjoying it! Your 'slow' run times seem fast to me, so don't get down on yourself! I read your last post "Ye Old Legs" and this one and I must say that they ring very true for me! Hearing someone else struggle with running and age lets me know that I'm not the only one! Now, I have no idea how old you actually are, but I just turned 43 and started running 5 years ago for health reasons. Other than having run the Mile for my Middle School Track & Field Team, I don't have a huge history of running and wasn't sure what to expect was possible at my age. I would get winded going up a flight of stairs, so I started with a 5k (which seemed daunting). Now I'm training for my first ever Marathon in March of 2019! I'm constantly struggling to push myself to go further just to see what I can do and I'm loving it!

    All that to say, don't get down on yourself! You might be getting older, but the fact that you are still running and giving it all you can, wether that be 8 minute miles or 9+ minute miles, that doesn't really matter! The fact that you are running despite the setbacks speaks volumes to someone like me and I draw inspiration from it.

    Keep running. . .keep writing. . .and I'll keep reading!

    Average_Jbob

    ReplyDelete