Sunday, September 02, 2018

Regress

The good news first, as soon as I took that needle to that blister on my toe (which, it should probably be pointed out, you're not supposed to do due to infection risk) it felt a lot better, and one week later the discomfort has not returned. The tip of the toe is still dark red and the nail doesn't exactly look a picture of health (I'll spare you the photos) but it doesn't hurt, so that's that as far as I'm concerned.

VDOT August 2018
The bad news is that training - what training? Here's a chart with the numbers for last month, and it doesn't make for great reading. The numbers are as low as I've ever seen, but more importantly they aren't rising. I had hoped that a month of lower mileage would sort out recovery after Irdning and then I'd be able to move on, but whatever I tried, it doesn't seem to have worked.

Work has been absolutely manic this week in the office with meetings and customer calls coming back-to-back all day every day, so much so that there was not a chance to head out for a lunchtime run on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I know I would have had the option to run either in the morning or evening but I felt too tired and with me being on lower mileage anyway I just took them as rest days.

Anyway, I'd radically change things and start picking up the miles again, except I have the Berlin marathon in 2 weeks' time, which doesn't make for ideal timing. I might do it anyway.

What few runs I managed during the week were all rather short and supposedly at an easy effort, not that the HR would confirm that. Saturday was actually rather positive, for the first time since I have forgotten when I got through the run entirely on autopilot, never wishing I were home now.

On Sunday I basically tried to force the issue and see how I would cope after a couple of hours out there. I ran at an easy effort but on a very hilly route from Bray to Kilternan and back via Cabinteely, which was a mile or two longer than I had expected (yes, I could have checked it out beforehand but didn't). I felt fine early on but it was very humid, my top was drenched after only two miles, and eventually the miles did tell; whether it was the effort or the dehydration that had the bigger effect is hard to tell but I'd go for the latter. I don't remember ever being as thirsty as that during a run. Of course I made it home and of course it was dead slow and of course I was tired afterwards but I'm still glad I did it - it doesn't bode particularly well for Berlin but I'll survive.
27 Aug
0
28 Aug
0
29 Aug
4.85 miles, 39:35, 8:09 pace, HR 151
30 Aug
0
31 Aug
5 miles, 41:25, 8:16 pace, HR 151
1 Sep
5.25 miles, 43:47, 8:20 pace, HR 148
2 Sep
16.83 miles, 2:31:45, 9:00 pace, HR 153

2 comments:

  1. At least today's run was time spent on the legs. Quality is sometimes better than quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice graph photo rather than a bloody toe one. I've been plotting my regression since 1995 ;-) Probably too late for a reverse taper. General aerobic running would seem to be the go. Could be the work stress affecting the numbers too. Try and be rested and fresh for Berlin and I'm sure you'll run well just off experience.

    ReplyDelete