Friday, March 23, 2018

Numb

Remember how I mentioned at the end of my race report that there is an area on my right arm that feels kind of numb and a bit weird when I touch it? Almost one week after the race this is still the case. Someone suggested it might be frostbite. I have no idea if that's correct. There is no discolouration, it doesn't hurt and it's not affecting movement and/or use in any way so I'm not too worried, but it sure makes me glad I stopped when I did and didn't insist on running for the entire 6 hours.

Since I had been planning on doing an ultra but only ran a marathon it means I ran it well below even my easy-marathon-training-run pace. As a direct result I felt perfectly fine the next morning, my legs regarded it as just another long training run. I therefore didn't bother implementing my usual 5-mile-a-day recovery routine and just kept on training as normal. Having said that, on most days my legs felt a bit heavy for the first few miles of every run, which kept reminding me of the fact that I had just run a marathon after all, though they always, invariably, loosened up eventually and I ended up every run with a few faster miles.

I've started running into work regularly, though I still have a few thing left to figure out. In my previous 2 jobs here in Dublin I always had breakfast at work, just as most of my colleagues did as well, but nobody here seems to bring their own food into work and I'm a bit reluctant to stick out as the one guy who brings in his own porridge. I tried eating an hour before running on a couple of days this week but always felt rather uncomfortable, and I tried eating the porridge here at work but that doesn't taste the way I like it, so I'm still working on a solution.

Real life kept making things a little bit difficult at time, I managed to run home form work exactly once this week, there was something else on every other day, which actually made planning for the week really tricky. Normally I cycle into work on Monday and bring my stuff for the week but with the week being so irregular I missed out on a couple of items and ended up running carrying extra stuff for a few miles. Ah well. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

My sleep patterns are a bit weird, no matter when I go to be I always wake up at 5:30. If I go to bet ad 10 o'clock then that's fine, if I leave it later because, in theory, I don't have to get up so early, I end up with a worryingly low number of hours of sleep. Lack of discipline when it comes to going to bed at the right time is definitely an issue I have to work on.
19 Mar
10 miles, 1:20:47, 8:04 pace, HR 130
20 Mar
10 miles, 1:21:28, 8:08 pace, HR 129
21 Mar
9.56 miles, 1:16:04, 7:57 pace, HR 142
22 Mar
am:5.45 miles, 45:17, 8:18 pace, HR 135
pm:6 miles, 46:16, 7:42 pace, HR 133
23 Mar
9.56 miles, 1:16:21, 7:59 pace, HR 141

No comments:

Post a Comment