Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Up And Down

Our Labrador, Millie, wants to be learn all about the others pets in the house
Well, I guess some things are never going to progress in a perfectly smooth line, and training is one of them. The last few days are completely my own fault. Up to last weekend I had been very disciplined about turning off the screens at 10 o'clock and going to bed not much later. Recently I've let things slide and now I'm feeling a bit tired and a lot less recovered all of a sudden. Sleep is so important for an athlete, and while I might have gotten away with things when I was younger that's clearly no longer the case. It does show in the numbers.

On Saturday morning my HRM stopped working after a mile, which is a bit of a shame because I'm pretty sure I would have posted my best numbers since my comeback - not that it matters, the training effect is the only thing that matters, but I'm a numbers geek and a nice figure in my spreadsheets would have been nice.

I felt a bit tired on Sunday (see first paragraph) and made sure to take it very easy, and I kept it to 4 miles. I felt a lot better on Monday morning. In fact, I was marvelling how well and effortlessly I was moving all of a sudden and how well that recovery program is kicking in. I was in high spirits, until I reached the 3 mile mark and turned around and realised that the return journey would be against the wind. Damn! I felt a lot slower on the way home.

Tuesday morning I was tired, again (see first paragraph, again) and once more kept it short and easy. This time I also resolved to get bedtime under control again. I'll need someone to send me to bed, I think. Jesus, I've mentally regressed back to childhood already (that said, Niamh insists I never left that stage in the first place).

10 Dec
6 miles, 50:12, 8:22 pace
11 Dec
4+ miles, 35:18, 8:43 pace, HR 141
12 Dec
6 miles, 50:43, 8:27 pace, HR 150
13 Dec
4 miles, 35:20, 8:50 pace, HR 143

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Niamh could be right (and maybe that thought applies to all runners). I hear you re the sleep problem - with it not getting dark until after 8.30, late nights creep in very easily.

    ReplyDelete