Saturday, June 06, 2015

Recovery, Again

Seriously, it's Saturday already? It feels like yesterday that I ran in Cork. The weather has been a lot better since, which is of course absolutely typical. That said, the last two days have been rather windy, though still less so than marathon day had been.

Obviously I have spent the week recovering from Cork. The extra fatigue added to the still existing one from Turin has been unquestionable. My VDOT values on Tuesday had dropped off the chart once more, just like they had been in the aftermath of Turin, but have thankfully rebounded reasonably well since then.

I did 3 runs of 5 miles each and since I progressed fairly quickly from a pathetic hobble on Tuesday to something almost resembling running on Thursday I upped the daily mileage to 8 on Friday. I wasn't entirely sure if running for an hour already was a wise move but to be honest the legs were itching to add a bit of a workload. The one major problem I had both yesterday and today was to keep the HR down. Today was particularly frustrating as the legs felt pretty good and were begging me to run faster. I tried to keep a lid on things and ran at a really low effort, yet the watch kept beeping at me almost relentlessly. I'll be glad when that settles down - I have been doing far too much recovery running this year for my liking already!

The weather is supposed to improve over the next week; maybe we'll even get something remotely resembling a summer! The kids sure would approve. The twins have been on their holidays already but haven't managed to spend a lot of time outside yet. It would be a godsend - one of them has started running all of a sudden, much to my delight of course, and a few nice days would greatly improve the chances of them sticking to it.

I won't be running in Portumna this year as that would just add to my already overloaded fatigue levels. But there is now a parkrun in Killarney, in addition to the one in Tralee, and I really have to start showing my face in those. It's a fantastic idea and deserves to be supported.

And, by the way, congratulation to Tom Enright for running his 100th marathon in Cork. Despite all his protestations to the contrary I don't believe for a second that it was his last one, though.

3 Jun
5 miles, 44:52, 8:58 pace, HR 138
4 Jun
5 miles, 43:00, 8:35 pace, HR 143
5 Jun
8 miles, 1:06:02, 8:17 pace, HR 143
6 Jun
8 miles, 1:05:17, 8:09 pace, HR 147

3 comments:

  1. Great - you'll enjoy the Parkrun. Very friendly group - accurately measured and timed courses, and most importantly, FREE! Don't tell Scott Brown I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, is John Treacy the Olympic marathoner? Right age-group. Ran a tad quicker than my PB, so surely not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ewen, the very same. I guess he wasn't racing all out.

      Delete