Sunday, May 31, 2015

Mini Taper

I had a busy weekend so far. I registered for my 4 summer races, all of which will be used as training runs, for a combined mileage of 153.837 miles

Which, incidentally, almost exactly matches the length of the goal race they are going to prepare me for. It's a sign!

The other thing I did was going for 3 short and easy runs. Since I still don't have full confidence in my legs I thought I'd better do a mini-taper for Cork, 8-5-5 miles. This will hopefully leave me nicely rested for the task of running 26.2 miles at an unaccustomed pace (Christ, what have I let myself in for!).

The legs always felt a bit stiff and tired over the first mile, but they pretty much always do that so that's not really a cause for alarm. They always loosened up pretty quickly for the rest of the run. The faster miles from Thursday don't seem to have taxed me too much, so that's good. One thing the numbers showed me is that I am a lot less efficient at 7:20 pace, though that did not come as much of a surprise, seeing as I did not exactly spend a lot of time at that training pace. Sunday's run was bit faster because the legs felt really good and I had troubles keeping them at bay. I guess that's a good sign for Cork - they were raring to go at bit faster.

Let's hope the geriatric pacing duo that's supposed to take care of the 3:15 runners (combined age a whopping 94 years!!!) won't have too many troubles with the course. The weather forecast is pretty bad, though slightly improving as we're get closer to race day, so maybe we'll be spared the worst (the slower runners might not). Or else it will be just like 2010 again. Actually, there is now a yellow rain and wind warning on for Munster for teh duration of the race. We might be revisiting the miniature hurricane of 2010, alright.

Anyway, if you're going to run in Cork, come and say hello. Unfortunately I won't make it to the Expo this year (family life interfering) but I'll be there at the start, big promise!
29 May
8 miles, 1:04:58, 8:07 pace, HR 138
30 May
5 miles, 41:44, 8:20 pace, HR 137
31 May
5 miles, 39:24, 7:52 pace, HR 143

No comments:

Post a Comment