Monday, November 03, 2014

More Recovery

I keep thinking that the double marathon in Sixmilebridge is 3 weeks away but in actual fact one week has already passed since I started thinking that and it's now less than 2 weeks. Crikey - was that really such a great idea?

Considering that I ran Dublin at an average HR of 160, which makes it sound pretty damn close to a race effort, I will take a bit longer than just the one week to recover. The legs might be feeling fine but I have noticed that the HR is still elevated, so I will have to take it easy between now and that next race - not that I had any plans for particularly heroic workouts anyway.

My hamstring keeps behaving reasonably well. I can feel it at times, but it's not bothersome. The whole situation reminds me of the Achilles issues I had last year. It never really hurt but I could feel "something" for months, and it never went away entirely. Right now I seem to be at the same stage with my hamstring. I have said that following sentence before, more than once: as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'll be ok.

What does worry me is that my left hip has now started acting up as well. I do wonder if that is a secondary issue caused by the hamstring, even though I don't think I have changed by gait as a result. However, the hip has started to feel really stiff at the beginning of each run, and I can feel it after sitting in a chair for too long as well, not ideal for someone with a desk job. It does loosen up within the first mile, so there's not too much to worry about right now, and the same thing applies once more:  as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'll be ok.

My suspicion is that all these niggly little things may well be related to me getting older, which means that there will be more and more of them, not exactly a thought that fills me with joy.

Let's stop whining and be positive. Just by looking at the figures for the last few runs I can see that recovery is coming along nicely. The last 3 runs have each been about a minute faster than the previous one for the same level of effort. The conditions aren't great at the moment with plenty of wind, rain and low temperatures, though I sure have run in worse. Just be grateful for what you have - I am able to run every morning, what more do you want!

1 Nov
10 miles, 1:19:02, 7:54 pace, HR 143
2 Nov
10 miles, 1:17:53, 7:47 pace, HR 143
3 Nov
10 miles, 1:16:59, 7:42 pace, HR 144

4 comments:

  1. I am completely agree with the sentiment of being grateful for what you have rather than have what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the pacing at Dublin, pacing a 3:10 in windy conditions certainly isn't easy and the heart rate of 160 certainly shows that it was a tough run.

    I have had bouts of problems with hip flexors, bad nights sleep seems to be one trigger, as can doing a few too many hills in quick succession. I had aching hip flexors going into my Jedburgh Three Peaks race 10 days ago and worried that it'd hold me back but ended up having a great race - pain killers were required to dull the hip flexor niggles though.

    Still have the niggles now, but like you after warming up the discomfort goes away so I'm happy to keep training. I'll be avoiding hill sprints and really long runs for a while as these would likely aggravate it. I don't have any races till next spring though so can happily take things easy.

    I would have thought that 3 weeks is plenty of time to recovery before Sixmilebridge. Will you be racing it or using it as a training run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a training run, though I have been known to get carried away at times ...

      Delete
  3. Your starting to make me feel sorry for you. "Old age can be cruel sometimes"�� I won't be joining you in sixmilebridge this year. (Long story) I will however be wishing you the very best of luck. I'm certain you will do well in it, as always.

    ReplyDelete