Sunday, October 26, 2014

This Really Is Happening

I got some exciting news today. When I opened my email this morning there was an application form for the World/European championship in my inbox. It really looks like this is indeed going to happen!

The last few days were all easy, obviously with tomorrow's DCM in mind. I took it especially easy on Friday because of the faster miles during the evaluation on Thursday, even though the evaluation is not a taxing workout by any stretch. I tried to take it just as easy on Saturday but that didn't entirely work out like that. I was really surprised to see the pace in the 7:30s. Well, if 7:38 feels that easy I guess I can't complain.

The weeks and days before a goal race are always passing excruciatingly slowly. Training races, like tomorrow's marathon on the other hand, always seem to creep up on me almost unnoticed. I almost feel like I almost forgot to hop into the car yesterday and come up to Dublin. And the race is on tomorrow - blimey, that was quick!

I did only 5 miles this morning, which is my one sacrifice for the marathon. I am training through it, but just to be absolutely sure the legs won't be too tired I always take it very easy the day before. Well, 4 of the miles were very easy. I tried to run 1 mile at tomorrow's pace (3:10 marathon - 7:15 pace - 7:10 on the Garmin) but once more was running too fast - whoops. The other two guys will have to keep me on a leash for the first few miles. Once I'm tuned into the pace, I'll be alright.

Good luck everyone who is running it! Come up and say hello if you see me, either in the Expo today or the marathon tomorrow.

24 Oct
10 miles, 1:20:22, 8:02 pace, HR 138
25 Oct
10 miles, 1:16:23, 7:38 pace, HR 145
26 Oct
5 miles, 38:45, 7:45 pace
Weekly Mileage: 66.75 (no long run, of course)

3 comments:

  1. Have a great race tomorrow, Thomas, and say hello to the 83-year-old John Collins from an unknown fan in Canada, if you see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with pacing duties. You're fasting pacing gig to date if I am not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exciting. It'll be even more real when your uniform arrives. Hope the pacing job at Dublin went well. 3:10 "easy" is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete