Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Up And Down

I've definitely got a case of the ouchies this week (see picture from Sunday's post), though funnily enough it's at its best when running (and at its worst in the shower). It really was a painful lesson, though if I've learned from it has yet to be seen.

After half a year of surprisingly good weather, it really has been tough over the last 4 weeks. The storms may have abated but the wind and rain are still here and more than once I got reminded that freezing cold rain is just about my least favourite weather for running. Then again, I still remember one (very good) runner once remarking to another "who would train in such weather" and quietly thinking "I do, and that's why I coped with it better than anyone else today".

Monday was exceptionally slow and easy, with Tuesday almost the same. I did  notice that my easy pace has slowed over the last few weeks, though that went hand-in-hand with a lower heart rate. Rather than being alarmed I think it's more a sign that I'm starting to get it right again. Few runners run their easy runs too slowly but a lot are running them too fast.

Wednesday's workout was a set of hill repeats. The last time I did them was 3 weeks ago, and I did feel the Achilles for 2 weeks after, so I am a bit wary but I do recognise the value of that workout. I did more than last time (14 vs 9) and still felt perfectly fine, but I was running out of time and had to head back home. I would have had time for more had I not pressed the snooze button once when the alarm went off at 6:10 in the morning, but hearing the wind and rain outside just did not feel particularly inviting.

13 Jan
10 miles, 1:20:51, 8:05 pace, HR 136
14 Jan
10 miles, 1:19:39, 7:57 pace, HR 130
15 Jan
7+ miles, 1:10:46, 9:15 pace, HR 142
  14 x 60 sec hill repeats

1 comment:

  1. 14 x 60s is a serious number of hill repeats - great test for the achilles for sure.

    I can help you out with the chafing - wear speedos instead of shorts, and don't have a shower for a week ;)

    ReplyDelete