Sunday, January 15, 2012

Revving Up

All through winter I have noticed an elevated heart rate. Most of my runs produced a HR that was several beats higher than what I would have expected. My resting heart rate has shown the same effect, every time I measured it it was between 43 and 45 when I would usually expect it to to be around 40. I attribute this to the low-level cold that has been doggedly been affecting me for at least two months now. Were I not a runner I might not even have noticed it, but I am and I can tell the difference.
However, I did notice an improvement recently and indeed, when I measured my resting HR this morning, it was at 42. That's still a touch high, but it's the lowest value I have seen in months. Together with the improved numbers of Tuesday's evaluation, this is clearly moving the right way.

I had slightly heavy legs on Thursday, but running for an hour at about 8:00 pace did me a lot of good. I was back on the hill for more punishment on Friday. Not the one I usually go to, but a little back road in Ballintleave, because I needed a gradual downhill stretch for half a mile of downhill strides and the best place I can think of is the Ring of Kerry road between the Red Fox Inn and Caragh Bridge. At 6:30 in the morning that road is still quiet enough to feel safe; I wouldn't like to run on it during the day.

It wasn't entirely ideal; I need a steep road for the high knees drill and the one I found was very short and only gave me about 80 seconds. I tried to make up for it by doing it 3 times. The thigh drive worked better, on a more gradual piece of road, and I can tell a definite improvement in that drill.

The main worry was some discomfort in my left calf muscle during my cool down. It wasn't bad, maybe 3 out of 10 on the pain scale, but it was worrying. Lower leg injuries can easily happen during the hill phase.

Having said that, I did not feel any further discomfort for the rest of the day, so I did another hill workout on Saturday. Last year's program had a tempo run on the program but I changed it, reasoning that for an ultra I need any piece of leg strength I can get. In an attempt to be cautious I only did 2 hill drills, and of course no downhill strides, but I felt the calf again after the initial set of 30-second-sprints. Now I was definitely worried, but the rest of the workout went well, without any further pains.

I spiced up Sunday's long run with a fast finish. I made sure to take it very easy for the first miles, especially on the the big hills. I had a gel in my pocket, intending to take it at mile 12, to give me some fuel for the faster miles, but completely forgot to take it; not entirely surprising as I never take a gel during training. Anyway, I didn't need it. After 12.5 miles I accelerated from 8:00 pace to 7:00 pace and held it for the final 4.5 miles. I won't call it comfortable, that would be a lie. Maybe comfortably hard, whatever that oxymoron is supposed to mean? It felt great to be moving at a higher effort for once and I enjoyed every single step of these miles. In a way, I can't wait for some actual hard work next month.

12 Jan
8 miles, 1:03:33, 7:56 pace, HR 137
13 Jan
10.25 miles, 1:26:14, 8:24 pace, HR 145
   Hill drills: 4x30 sec sprints; high knees (3x80 sec); downhill strides; thigh drive (2x90 sec)
14 Jan
9.25 miles, 1:23:31, 9:01 pace, HR 143
   Hill drills: 4x30 sec sprints; ankles (4 mins); thigh drive (2x90 sec, 1x70 sec)
15 Jan
17 miles, 2:10:59, 7:42 pace, HR 146
   12.5 miles @ 7:58 (HR 143), 4.5 miles @ 5:57 (HR 158)

Weekly Mileage: 74

3 comments:

  1. Nothing worse than a cold that hangs around. The other thing worth checking would be blood hemoglobin. It's taken two weeks for my HRs to return to near normal after giving blood so if your iron is on the low side compared to last year that could be a reason for the higher HRs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THomas. I am a walker (Used to run, but a weird auto-immune disease paralyzed me and it was a huge deal that i can walk again) I am going to spend 14 days at the Lake Carrig Country House Inn first 2 weeks of July 2012. I am wondering if there are walking trails/back roads from the lake road to the ocean, shortest route possible. (I also paint, so I will be trudging along with my paints and papers).

    I cannot make this out on the AA satellite road maps. Seems you know that area better than anyone I have found online. You can respond here...or just send me an email: Sallydianefranz@Gmail.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. How far so you reckon is the Red Fox Inn to The County House Inn?

    ReplyDelete