Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Battered and Bruised

I have a work colleagues who insists that bad things always happen in threes. For example, every time there are two aeroplane incidents in quick succession, he confidentially predicts a further, imminent one. I hope he’s wrong. I might not have been involved in a plane crash, but according to him I'm just waiting to be hit again.

It started on Sunday evening when I put a lot of things up the attic. I have been up and down that ladder countless times before, but somehow this time I managed to bump my head. Badly. Lying on the floor moaning for a minute badly. A 2-inch gash in the head badly. Blood on your hands badly. Niamh urged me not to run on Monday; she feared I might be suffering from concussion. I ran anyway, under the assumption that I don’t have a brain to get damaged in the first place, and the fact that I ran with a possible concussion only goes to prove the previous point.

The second incident happened when cycling home from work on Tuesday. It was pitch dark, I had a car coming the other way, completely blinding me, I had a lorry behind me and before I knew it I had a big pothole underneath me which I did not see because said car shone his headlights straight into my face in the best tradition of a Stasi interrogator. A short, unsuccessful fight against the pull of gravity was immediately followed by a rather desperate scramble to get off the road courtesy of the aforementioned lorry featuring rather heavily on my mind. I ended up with a bang on my right elbow, a pain in my right knee and some more pain radiating from my left side. Nothing serious, I was just a bit shaken. Apart from some very minor grazes on my elbow there is no visible damage, but the fact that I coughed up blood this morning was slightly alarming.

Inbetween these occurrences I managed not to miss my morning runs, especially my evaluation run on Tuesday. I had played with the idea of postponing this to Wednesday due to some fatigue from the weekend’s back-to-back long runs, but decided against it. Good decision, as Tuesday was a nice calm morning and Wednesday was ... not. Despite having some troubles keeping the heart rate at 161 (it oscillated rather more than I would have liked to see), the average values were ok. The pace, however, was slower than 2 weeks ago, very consistently 3-4 seconds slower on each mile, and the recovery period afterwards was identically long:
           6:46, HR 161
6:50, HR 162
6:55, HR 161
6:59, HR 160
41 sec to HR 130

I'm not exactly happy with these numbers. Sure, there was always going to be some fatigue from the weekend but considering that the last evaluation had been only 2 weeks after Sixmilebridge, this does not spell progression. If that means that I should move onto the next phase (because I’m not progressing) or extend the base building (because my legs are not ready for more work), I’m not entirely sure.

Actually, the evaluation didn’t really show me anything I did not already know. I have been running at an easy effort on basically all my runs for the last few weeks, but the HR has consistently been 5-10 bpm higher than what I would normally expect. It may be down to fatigue from too many marathons and ultras (Dingle, Dublin and Sixmilebridge in quick succession) or that damn cold that I can’t seem to shake or the stress at work or some other issues, but the bottom line is that right now I'm not in the shape I was hoping to be in.

I managed to get through a different kind of endurance workout as well: sitting through three sets of school Christmas plays in one week. It’s perfectly obvious to me that my own children are much more talented, interesting and better looking than other people’s children. I wonder if their parents can see it too, though.
19 Dec
8 miles, 1:02:45, 7:51 pace, HR 145
20 Dec
12 miles, 1:26:37, 7:13 pace, HR 152
   incl 4 miles evaluation
21 Dec
10 miles, 1:19:26, 7:57 pace, HR 145

5 comments:

  1. Bad things happening in 3's is a common superstition in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate to hear stories like this. So scary! Glad you survived all those mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Thomas I think your lucky!
    Well you could have cracked your head open and bleed to death or you could have been run over by that lorry!
    Quantum physics tells us we attract what we think, so my recommendations would be to start thinking positively FAST!
    Evaluation Test
    Does this test come from Dr Maffetone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, I got it from Mystery Coach. He's a Lydiard man, but has plenty of respect for Mr. Maffetone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't climb any more ladders or you might end up like poor Molly Meldrum!

    Ask the coach re which way to go. From the numbers, looks like something's off. Might be time for a blood test to check the iron levels or for some other mystery illness.

    ReplyDelete