Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Looking Ahead

I should not have been surprised, but I was. The quads were rather sore on Monday, following my little mountain run, and the pace was fairly slow. As is generally the case with DOMS, it was a good bit worse again the next day. For some reason, the left leg always seems to be more affected than the right one, and this time was no exception. What was far more important to me was the fact that my shin did not hurt at all, for the first time in well over a month. After carrying this for so long, recovery was amazingly quickly. I guess putting the Kinvaras to rest really was the right thing to do. It's a shame, I loved their light weight and the 525 miles I wore them for is not excessive by my standards, I generally expect to get at least 650 miles out of a pair. I might still get another pair, but will obviously have to be careful once they reach a certain mileage.

I'm surprised nobody called me out on the last paragraph of the previous entry (that's assuming that there are still some readers out there, of course). I do not want to put myself through yet another gruelling marathon training cycle, but have no qualms targeting an ambitious ultra time. I just like the slower pace of the ultras; it was the long marathon-pace and faster-than-marathon-pace workouts that I found really challenging in the build-up for Vienna. On the other hand, I have always loved the slower long runs and never worried much about the distance.

I will try and put a few things into place that I learned from last year's Dingle training cycle. There won't be back-to-back 5 hour runs this time; they undoubtedly built up my endurance but cost me a lot of speed, and my easy cruising pace in Dingle was 30 seconds per mile slower than in Connemara. That won't do.

What I will do is run a couple of long races around the 50k mark for training purposes. I've already signed up for 2 and I might throw in another marathon, depending on how recovery goes.

The pace for a 5 hour Connemara is 7:38. It does sound eminently doable, but I will have to build up a cushion over the first 26 miles because of the 2 tough climbs over the last third. If I can cruise through the marathon at 7:30 pace while still feeling good, sub-5 will be on the cards.

Actually, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. There is the small matter of Dublin yet to come. With my shin now healed, that doesn't worry me, though.
10 Oct
10 miles, 1:19:17, 7:55 pace, HR 142
11 Oct
8 miles, 1:03:55, 7:59 pace, HR 143
12 Oct
10 miles, 1:17:33, 7:45 pace, HR 145

5 comments:

  1. I have heard the Kinvaras break down kind of quick due to the soft foam used, some guys have talked of unly getting 250-300 miles out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas have you heard of RUN MASTER COACH its an interactive Lydiard training plan,set up by the Lydiard Foundation.
    At $26 for a six month plan it sounds quite a fair price!
    http://www.go2lydiard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas, I always enjoy reading your posts particularly the early days. Your Connemara Ultra posts are giving me an incite to what I have to look forward to next year. I look forward to getting a chance to meet up with you at the ultra marathon pre race briefing next April. Good luck in the Dublin marathon, its my favourite marathon course. I had to pull out due to achilles tendonitis so wll now start to build up the miles for the ultra. All the best..

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, 7:38 miles sounds fast to me. That was my pace for the Melbourne 10k. Wore my Kinvaras for the first time today. I'll bear in mind the mileage issue. Thanks for that tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi thomas. looking for a training plan specifically designed to cover the connemara ultra. doing dublin in 2 weeks (my 3rd) and hope to commence training within a week of it for connemara. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete