Monday, July 21, 2008

Analysis

Having to go to work on Monday was a bit of a let down. After taking Thursday and Friday off I was getting used to staying at home. Lola was equally confused; she asked why I had to work during the summer holidays. Enjoy school while it lasts, my dear.

There have been various thoughts going round my head about Saturday's race. For a start, the course may or may not have been slightly short. My Garmin showed 3.06 miles at the end, which is why I noted down my average pace as 5:55 rather than the 5:50 that would normally produce a 18:07 finish. However, last year one runner with a Garmin complained loudly about the course being too long (which later led me to write a note about Garmin weenies), and with most of it under tree cover the accuracy of the Garmin might be called into question. I'll leave the time as it is, and anyway, my previous PR had been set last year at the same race, so I definitely improved my time by over a minute.

Assuming the Garmin was correct, my equivalent 5k time was 18:23, which still sounds mindboggingly fast to me. I punched both times into Macmillan's Running Calculator, and the predicted marathon times were 2:56:37, and 2:59:13 respectively. Unfortunately, while the predictions tend to be fairly accurate for anything up to the half-marathon I've never managed to get close to my predicted marathon time, and I'm not going to assume that this year all will be different. However, it's still nice and very encouraging to see a predicted time on the other side of 3 hours for the first time.

The use of the Garmin in a race can be a double-edged sword. I found the feedback invaluable during the Cork City marathon; in fact, I'm absolutely sure I would not have broken 3:10 without it. In last week's race in Ballydavid, on the other hand, it caused me to seize up. Taking the HR display off was a direct result of that lesson, but in fact I hardly looked at the watch during Saturday's race. This wasn't a race run with the brain cells engaged. On the opposite, any rational thought during the opening 2 miles would have put on the brakes, so I'm glad I opted for pure animal instinct instead. It is perfectly plausible to me that during longer races, especially the marathon, the Garmin can be a massive help, but during shorter races, where you run until you're redlining, you're better off running by feel.

I can't help but remember Eric's comment after last year's race, when he predicted that not only would my 5k time soon move into the 18s but into the 17s as well. It wasn't that I did not believe him (he's been spot on far too often), but it seemed so far away that it was slightly unreal. While I'm not quite there yet I'm getting close, and it sounds like a rather credible prediction now. Thanks for your faith, Eric.

I've run plenty of 5ks beforehand, but for some reason they were always towards the beginning of a training cycle, and I came to them on zero speed work. This race was just as early into the training, but with the change in my program I had plenty of fast miles under the belt. The effect this had on my finishing time is rather staggering.

One last thought, on the off chance that you're still reading. I have a tendency of sabotaging my own races with a long run 2 or 3 days beforehand. This time I didn't do that, and I guess my legs were grateful and repaid me for it. I might rethink my training schedules for future races; but it depends on how important the race is to me, and if I can re-schedule the long run. I'm not prepared to damage my marathon preparation by completely cancelling a long run, unless someone can convince me that doing so would not hamper the marathon training.

Following the notion that if a workout sounds tough it must be good for me, I did my long run on Sunday, less than 20 hours after the race. Well, I might have called it a long run when it was only 15 miles, but with the race in my legs and the hills around Caragh Lake as high and steep as ever it was a rather tough workout. Just like last week I was knackered after 7 or 8 miles and contemplated on jogging home rather than trying to increase the pace over the last 5 miles, but just like last week I found another gear and ran those miles at 7:27 pace, though admittedly the last mile in 7:07 was responsible for lowering that average by quite some margin.

Today's run, on the other hand, was just slow. I needed some rest, and for once was prepared to grant myself some respite. There is no race this week, which is most definitely a good thing, but the hill repeats and fartlek workouts are still on the menu. Marathon training can be exhausting.
20 Jul
15 miles, 1:58:48, 7:56 pace, HR 148
last 5 in 37:20 @ 7:28, last in 7:07
21 Jul
7 miles, 1:02:50, 8:59 pace, HR 127

Weekly mileage: 62.5

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your fabulous race last weekend!
    I have been following your blog for some time now, and your experiences and training are inspiring. I'm sure you have mentioned it before, but what training program are you using? It sounds like it has been a great tool for you in meeting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Thomas I came to the same conclusions about using the Garmin in races, its great for pacing yourself in a marathon but like you say in a 5 k you don't need any thing telling you what your limits are, you have to go for it pushing right to the very edge of blowing up and holding the pace despite your body screaming at you to stop!
    As for if you can break 3 hours well maybe you could do the Yasso 800's again about 3 weeks before your marathon to find out if its possible,it was spot on last time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done again Thomas. Blindingly fast no matter what way you look at it. 17:xx is certainly on the horizon (You'll soon be one of those guys you used to look up to)

    The beauty about the "Brain Training" programme is that it includes races in the "recovery weeks". I know you've decided to omit them but maybe you should reconsider - then again it may be difficult to find a race at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Thomas,
    since reading your race report it has made me realize that I have gone soft in my old age! back some 4 years ago when at my peak i use to really push myself to the limit's of my ability in the shorter races, I even remember telling people that pain was good! But now i think I have set myself a comfortable level of pain after which i back off, looking back on my own race reports i've done nothing but complain about the discomfort I've been through, looking at the pain in a negative way, when in truth it just i sign that you are working hard and reaching your potential.
    So a big thanks for making my think about the way I've been thinking about pain in a negative way and am now going to order the brain training book.
    by the way back when i use to cycle race and do short time trials over 10 miles [ p.b. 22.18] i use to set my self a target of getting my pulse rate as high as possible and holding it, i remember a few times trying to get out of the saddle to sprint the last 200m only to fall straight back into the seat because my leg muscles were totally exhausted!
    on the subject of pulse monitors and pulse rates have you read the book 'TRAINING LACTATE PULSE RATE' by peter g.j.m. janssen. its kind of an old book as it came out in 87 but there are some really interesting pulse rate graphs of runners and cyclists in races and training which are worth a look.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. if you are interested i could scan some of the heart rate graphs, ie 5k, marathon etc, and send them on to you, check my e mail address on my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas - I am knackered just trying to keep up with your frenetic training! Ah to be young again. Your improvements over the years have been incredible, its been great to follow the progress.

    ReplyDelete