Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Naturally High

Wasn't I supposed to be completely knackered and in desperate need of recovery after running over 27 miles in one go? I was wiped after each of my marathons, and all of a sudden I apparently can run even further than that and still function normally afterwards. I was on a complete high after Sunday's run, and it kept going. On Monday morning I got up, fixed breakfast for the boys, baked a loaf of bread, run 7.5 miles and only stopped because I figured I shouldn't overdo things, did the laundry and got Maia ready for the day, all before 11 am. In the afternoon I joined Cian on his triumphal Paddy's Day Parade in Glenbeigh (his pre-school were taking part), then I dug three long trenches in the garden to plant potatoes (that's what the Irish do, you know), ran another 5 miles and still had plenty of energy left. It was only later in the evening when I sat down on the sofa that I started feeling tired, and my quads got sore. I thought that DOMS was finally catching up with me, but when I woke today shortly after 6 am I felt fresh and ready for another run, and I did 8.5 easy miles.

I really don't want to ruin my ultra by going completely bonkers 3 weeks before the race, but I can't stop marvelling how great I'm feeling, and I reckon that as long as I feel good I'm not overtraining. As mentioned in a previous post I was planning another long run this week, but I'm slightly cutting back. I'll do 15 miles tomorrow rather than 18 or so on Thursday, mainly because the weather forecast for Thursday is foul, and tomorrow is supposed to be cold but clear, just like today. After that, I'm definitely tapering.

Guess what's my only body part that's hurting? My right shoulder! I'm not making this up. Carrying a bottle for such a long time seemed to have upset something there; it's quite sore and wants rest. My left shoulder is fine, which is strange because it did the same amount of work, and I'm right-handed.

There's one more thing I forgot to mention about Sunday's run. After 10 miles, when coming off the cross country section and running back on the road, my right calf started cramping! Initially I really didn't know what had hit me, but I figured it must have been the change in surface that was responsible, and the climbing over the gates seemed to have upset my leg muscles. However, the spasms soon went away all by themselves and nothing bothered my legs for the next 17 miles.

My heart rate has dropped massively since Sunday, but only the other day I read on the letsrun board that a low heart rate can be a sign of empty glycogen stores, and the day after a 27 miles run that certainly can't be ruled out, even though I've been eating like the Ravenous Beast for two days since the event. Just like a high HR is not necessarily a bad sign, a low one isn't necessarily a good one. Personally I still think it's due to the extra fitness acquired over the last 2 weeks, mainly because I'm feeling so well and running is so easy. All my runs since Sunday have started at around 9:00 pace for the first mile or two, and then the legs slowly increased the pace slightly without being told to do so, until I was cruising at around 8:15 or so. This pace felt incredibly easy.
17 Mar
am: 7.5 miles, 1:04:25, 8:35 pace, HR 134
pm: 5 miles, 42:50, 8:34 pace, HR 135
18 Mar
8.5 miles, 1:11:36, 8:25 pace, HR 133

7 comments:

  1. brilliant job and fantastic news, thomas. there's a mental block to the whole marathon distance thing. once you move past it more than a couple times, you begin to see a whole new horizon for your running. you've obviously reached that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you are feeling strong after such a long run. I am not surprised though. High mileage weeks will certainly whip you into prime running shape, or leave you injured. I think you fall into the first category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that if you survived a long run like that, it seemed to work any kinks out of the body. Enjoy the remaining few weeks of training, rest up and recover, all the best come race day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never got a cramp while running before (definitely while sitting and sleeping though). So maybe if it did happen to me, I would just keep running too, lol. Great job on your runs though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strikes me you are in great shape, and starting to champ at the bit with Connemara approaching.

    And you have the cheek to question me running a training Half Marathon in Omagh a week before Connie - With all you are doing :) - Best of luck with the final preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas, thank you so much for your continuing support. Your "high" after 27 miles is such a great testament of your training! I still remember days like that:) Hey, so what's the goal for a repeat of that ultra? Don't worry too much about going bonkers, you are too smart and too trained for it. As for shoulder tiring - this was my very first serious complain after my first ultra. I don't know if you do any upper body weights, but it certainly helps me (shoulder presses, push ups, pull ups, biceps and dips...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are in fantastic shape Thomas. (Not to mention, a really good father/husband.) Once again, I feel inspired by you to stick with this crazy running thing. More than anything, I love the way I feel after a good run.

    ReplyDelete