Thursday, February 02, 2006

Rest? What Rest?

I had initially toyed with the idea of doing a short recovery run yesterday to get rid of the stiffness in my legs after Tuesday’s 20 miler, but decided to sleep in instead. Considering the fact that I had only gotten about 5 hours of sleep before that long run, it was almost certainly the best way to recover.

Today, on the other hand, I was due another early morning rise, to get in 12 miles (hey, I’m just following the schedule which was written by a guy who knows a lot more about running than I do). I set the alarm for 5:45, but of course it wasn’t needed, thanks to Shea being a right pain from about 5:15 on. I eventually got up and fixed him some breakfast as well as getting ready myself. I put him back to bed before I left, but Niamh told me afterwards that he was up again the second I was out of the door, and kept her from sleeping instead.

The run went very well. The temperatures have risen significantly over the last two days; unfortunately this was accompanied by a lot of clouds bringing rain. I got lucky and it didn’t rain during my run though. It was so warm that I didn’t even notice that I had left my gloves behind until after I had arrived back home. I wore my new shoes for the second time, and this time they already felt a lot more comfortable. Maybe they will turn out to be a good choice after all.

We drove to Limerick today to have a look at a car, a 7 seater, which should make those journeys to visit Nana and Gaga in Dublin a lot more agreeable. We did indeed buy it (well, I haven’t picked it up yet), but driving there and back again meant 4 hours in the car, and my legs are stiff again. No, it’s not the 12 miles that I’m suffering from, it’s definitely the car journey!

2 Feb: 12 miles, 1:42, 8:30 pace

6 comments:

  1. you are certainly packing in the miles how do you do those early starts !! I suppose it must feel very satisfying when you have finished and you have the rest of the day ahead of you and you haven't too inconvienced the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're ready for an ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 15 miles, then 20, then 12, all in a week's time. You are really putting the effort in Thomas, I am quite impressed! I'm so glad to hear you ordered the Lydiard book too, you will really enjoy it. Ron Daws' "Running Your Best" would be a good one for your reading list too, lots about running in crummy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8:30mpm pace is quite a respectable one. Well, especially when compared to my 11:00mpm pace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7 seater??

    what kind of car are you getting??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rob and Susan, go with the ultra! By the way the Black Knight Army is looking for the referee of Ireland-Italy (rugby match). I think that we need the help of the clever executioner Iliketoast.

    ReplyDelete