Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Lessons. Learned?

Things are progressing nicely so far. Having said that, I'm only 3 weeks into training so it's still very early days, obviously.

I was slightly nervous about doing back-to-back 10 milers at home, though I shouldn't have been - it's only a tiny bit further than my commute and not much more hilly.

The commute itself has added an interesting training component. It's basically a back-to-back workout followed by a longer recovery. If I cycle in on Monday morning then I run back on Monday evening. Less than 12 hours later I am running back into the office on Tuesday morning but then I have almost 36 hours of rest before Wednesday's evening run.

As with all back-to-back workouts, much depends on how you run the first one. It's a lesson I learned (yet again) today. Last night's run was a tad too fast, especially as it was against a steady headwind as well as (slightly) uphill. As a result, I did suffer a bit this morning, clearly not yet fully recovered. The last 3 or 4 miles were definitely dragging, and I ran over 15 seconds a mile slower than the day before, at the same HR, despite this being the downhill leg. Lesson learned? We'll see!

I might do a parkrun this weekend. I probably should take care with faster efforts as it's still so early, but a parkrun is never a full-out race. Hopefully. Anyway, it's such a great institution that it should be supported, and with so many parkruns in Dublin I am keen to visit a few of them over the following months - depending on how many weekends I'm spending in Dublin rather than Kerry, of course.
20 Aug
10 miles, 1:21:36, 8:09 pace, HR 146
21 Aug
9.15 miles, 1:13:57, 8:04 pace
22 Aug
9.15 miles, 1:13:00, 7:58 pace, HR 148
23 Aug
9.2 miles, 1:15:55, 8:13 pace, HR 148

1 comment:

  1. I need a nap just from reading that post.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete