Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Thump!

It was all going so well, training, work, life, everything was perfect. Too perfect. I was already waiting for the setback and hoped it wouldn’t be too severe.

I arrived on Monday evening. That’s my football night. I know, I know, some guy repeatedly warned me about football (soccer, that is) and marathon training being incompatible, but I did make sacrifices: I cut the football down from two nights a week to one night. Anyway, we were halfway through our game when I challenged for a ball. The other guy said afterwards he never saw me. I did see him, all right, but somehow it all turned out differently than anticipated. He came from one side, I from the other. He impacted me somewhere around my left shoulder. We were both running pretty much at full speed, and the force of the impact was enough to lift me straight off my feet. I did half a backflip and landed on the back of my head. Ouch. It was a wooden floor, and I felt it bouncing. My glasses flew off my head and shattered on impact (my spare glasses, thankfully). I was literally writhing in agony and the guys gathered around me, fearing a serious injury. Eventually I managed to sit up (with some help). I was dizzy, I had black spots in front of my eyes and a splitting headache. After a minute or two I even tried to continue playing on (in goal), but very soon had to pull out of it. I couldn’t even stand upright, never mind follow the game, and a second impact might have been serious. I was in no state to drive and got a lift home (from the same guy who I had collided with, no less). Niamh’s initial concern was for the broken glasses, until I told her what had happened.

I initially refused to go to the hospital. “They will let me wait for 4 hours in their hellhole of a waiting room, then talk to me for a bit and eventually tell me to get some rest”. Niamh didn’t relent. I went to work the next day (despite still suffering from headache), and she rang me about a dozen times. In my absence she phoned a nurse and then a doctor, and they advised her to get me to hospital. Eventually I relented and we drove to Tralee after work, not because I was worried, but to get her to shut up. “I bet you, they won’t give me an x-ray”. “Yes they will”. “No they won’t”. My initial prediction turned out to be nearly entirely accurate, with the one exception that I had to wait for 5 hours, not 4. After I said no to a dozen or so questions: Did you lose consciousness? Nausea? Headache getting worse? Dizzy? and so on he told me to get some rest. And he gave me some paracetamol. I did ask when I would be able to run again, and he said as soon as I felt ready. “But no stupidly long runs, like 10 kilometres”. I could have argued that 10k is not a long run by any stretch of the imagination, and that I could hardly remember the last time I ran less than 8 miles, but thought the better of it.

I have to confess that my main thought after leaving the hospital (at 1 am in the morning) was “65 Euros, 5 hours and a missed dinner, only to get the f***ing bitch to shut up”. I even started an argument in the car. Hmm. I blame the missed dinner. I tend to become an arsehole after going without food for 12 hours.

So, no running. Nada. Zilch. Null. Nichts. Just a few days ago Mike and Rob had argued for a cut-down week. I declined, but now I’m cutting down after all. 48 hours after the accident I’ve still got a bad headache. I won’t run a single step until I’ve gone a whole day without pain. I have no idea how long this will take, but definitely a few more days. Damn. It was all going so well!

30 Jan: 0 miles
31 Jan: 0 miles

Mileage for January: 333.4 miles. Yes, that’s a new record. By over 40 miles. Despite missing the last 2 days. Big Deal.

13 comments:

  1. Well that stinks!

    Remind me to never cross you on an empty stomach. Or on a socer pitch for that matter.

    As you are aware, runners are notoriously hard headed, so you should be just fine in short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH. I cannot believe you play soccer (football) on a wooden floor - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooden floor?! are you crazy?!

    oh wait, i think that's already been established.

    and your poor wife! first she has to worry about you, then you start a fight with her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc used to play soccer until we banished him from good society. He finally relented.

    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know...as I read, I was fearing a torn cartlidge - knee or shoulder, a broken arm, a sprained ankle. Long term kinds of things. Though I fear for your sanity after the knock on the head (as evidenced by picking a fight with Niamh) at least it isn't long term. I imagine you rattled your brain around against the inside of your skull and bruised it or something. That would explain the fight too.

    My unsolicited advice: follow your plan, plus bring home some flowers and chocolate for the long-suffering wife. She deserves it for putting up with your running, your soccer and your grouchiness now that you can't run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sorry about the accident and I hope you feel better real soon. I agree please give flowers and chocolates to Niamh, I hope that helps also

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooooooooo!!! I'm with backofpack. Niamh who is only looking out for you, deserves some flowers! Well, thank god it wasn't your knee! Feel better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Man! Sorry for such an invasion into your personal life, but Niamh deserves a Lot of Flowers and some Chocolate. Advice about 10 km run made me laugh. 333 miles - you made it all - 4 days of rest and you will compensate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like the women are sticking up for your wife so I'll stick up for you. I understand completely what you're talking about and have though those same setiments a few times along my life's path. And I don't think she is putting up with your running. I am not sure where this sense of entitlement to flowers and other things comes from. Don't get me wrong. I know how important my wife is and I imagine you know how important Niamh is as well, but it's not always the women doing things for us now is it? I hope you get back to running soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get better soon and back on the soccer hardwood soon. When you do get better, re-read that second last paragraph, you might want to edit it.

    Skip the flowers and buy some chocolate that you can both share. Hide it from the kids.

    Pat
    Arizona, USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Appears as if you have weathered a bad Ireland winter and have stumbled into a whole other storm to weather here. Good luck with taking care of the "thump".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rob, shut up!!! OK, since you got nothing broken, I actually have to agree, visit to emergency might have been unnecessary. I hate doing it even when it's a matter of life. I despise all doctors in this country (though you are in different country). Arguing on an empty stomach is not only men's problem, you don't want to see me when I haven't had food in 4 hrs. But, common, flowers for your wifey would be nice no matter how you cut it, you may even get something extra out of it!
    And for the future - no ball games. Hmm...any kind of those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you clarify something... who were you referring to in this sentence “65 Euros, 5 hours and a missed dinner, only to get the f***ing bitch to shut up”.

    ReplyDelete