Thursday, November 06, 2014

Even More Recovery

Yes, I'm running out of creativity with regards to my headings!

Mind, it does accurately represent the present state of my training. The Dublin marathon was only 10 days ago and it's still in my legs, so recovery is still paramount. Recovery to me does not mean doing nothing, it means I am running at an easy effort. Running at an easy effort doesn't mean hanging around entirely either; I did get down to about 7:30 pace on a couple of occasions, though I did feel that in my legs this morning and scaled back accordingly.

Easy effort can mean a different pace each day, depending how I feel. While I do wear my Garmin, I don't let it dictate my run. In the winter, this is even easier than in the summer. I am running with the back light of the watch turned off, so I can't even see the numbers and there is never any temptation to cheat.

10 easy miles on Tuesday felt good, 13 on Wednesday even better. The weather was reasonable on both days, as long as you don't mind the occasional shower.

Thursday morning was a little bit more challenging, both from the weather (hard rain and plenty of wind) as well as the legs (a bit tired, and a calf cramp during the night didn't help), so I ran even easier. This resulted in the the slowest run in a week after getting a little bit faster every day beforehand.

The HR is still elevated compared to normal base levels and I'm wondering if I had been running a tad too fast since Dublin, but it's hard to slow down when you're already rather relaxed.

Sixmilebridge is getting closer at a slightly alarming rate - right now I wouldn't fancy doing a double marathon and I have the sneaking suspicion that I might still be feeling the same next week, so a certain amount of trepidation cannot be denied.

4 Nov
10 miles, 1:16:32, 7:39 pace, HR 145
5 Nov
13 miles, 1:38:13, 7:33 pace, HR 145
6 Nov
10 miles, 1:19:39, 7:58 pace, HR 142

2 comments:

  1. How about "30 x 400 metre intervals - nearly killed me!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recovery seems to be going well, so hopefully, you'll be ready for Sixmilebridge next week!

    ReplyDelete