Friday, June 06, 2014

Post-Marathon

With the Cork marathon run at a relatively pedestrian pace, I was hoping I would not be in need of much recovery and might even get a week of "real" training under the belt.

I probably should have known better. The legs, while not sore, were quite stiff and I had the usual post-marathon concrete pillars effect. It meant I had to follow my usual recovery routine af nothing but 5 mile runs, though I could not help but notice that a couple of those afternoon runs this week were a lot faster than what I would normally call recovery pace. It's not as if I had pushed the pace - I just switched on the autopilot as soon as I started running and 5 miles later noticed that I had been a lot quicker than expected.

The HR has once again rebounded immediately after the marathon, which is always reassuring.

It's still only 4 days since the marathon, so I guess I can't complain. Since I have been going through the same routine a few times already this year, I pretty much know what to expect. In a few days the heavy feeling will lift one morning and I can run for joy again. But with a 100k to follow next weekend there won't be an opportunity to go mad (well, unless I really want to punish myself next Saturday), so easy running is pretty much all that's on the menu, with one mountain run thrown in for good measure.

The weather has mostly been lovely this week and I'm developing quite a nice tan, so much so that I keep getting asked where I had been on holiday. Sadly, this sunny weather seems to have ended now, today was rather miserable and the forecast for the weekend isn't great either. I was a little bit sad I'm not doing the Dingle Adventure Race this year, but looking at the weather I'm rather relieved I don't have to climb Mount Brandon over slippery stones. Good luck to all the competitors.

3 Jun
am: 5+ miles, 42:03, 8:19 pace, HR 126
pm: 5+ miles, 39:05, 7:54 pace, HR 128
4 Jun
am: 5 miles, 40:05, 8:01 pace, HR 132
pm: 5 miles, 37:30, 7:30 pace, HR 139
5 Jun
am: 5 miles, 40:30, 8:05 pace, HR 129
pm: 5 miles, 38:04, 7:36 pace, HR 137
6 Jun
am: 8 miles, 1:03:34, 7:56 pace, HR 132
pm: 5 miles, 38:52, 7:46 pace, HR 130

3 comments:

  1. Looking at your training widget, you've already run 1774 miles this year and many of those in races, so easy running till your 100k next weekend sounds like a great idea, Thomas! I wish a 3:30 marathon would be a pedestrian pace for me too:) Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to realise that the ability to recover quickly Is key to ultra training...I'm not recovering from the long runs as much as you seem to be. I think I'll have to opt for an earlier taper than planned ahead of next Saturday. Impressive running from you as always Thomas...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Still looking for the race I cannot finish"? How about a triple Ironman, or the one Martin Fryer's training for - a 6 day race on an indoor track in Canada?

    ReplyDelete