Sunday, February 23, 2014

Easy Does It

The last couple of days I've been increasing the mileage but always kept the effort very easy. It all worked very well, I am feeling good and the legs are feeling very good. From the way I feel I could swear I did not run a 50k; maybe I just imagined the entire thing.

After yet another 8 miler on Friday I did 10 on Saturday. It was very blustery, but that had been the case all week, so I can't blame the conditions for the higher HR. Problem is, I can't think of anything else, the effort was the same very easy one as for any other day. Just one of those things, I suppose.

Originally I had planned on keeping Sunday's run shorter as well, but since the legs had responded so well I decided to join the club run after all. I did the same thing I always do, I run the 5 miles into Killorglin to meet the others, do the club run with them and then run back home, which gives me a nice long workout and I still get the benefits of company. The pace today was a bit slower than what I would have run on my own but I made up for most of that by hammering home the last few miles. Thanks especially to Sean and Eddie for the company, the time and miles just flew by, and most times I hardly noticed that we were running into gale force winds.

I was particularly pleased to see the HR remain stable even toward the end of a 20 mile run, rather than drifting upwards. I clearly do have the endurance, even if my speed has completely gone (I know, I know, I never had speed in the first place). I'll do a few faster runs next week, but I've long given up on doing a decent time in Ballycotton. Last year I knocked on the door of a sub-60, in 2 weeks' time I'd be happy to go 63 minutes - any thoughts of a t-shirt will have to be shelved for at least another year. In reality I just cannot see myself ever targeting a 10 mile race - that's just not me. Ah well.

21 Feb
8 miles, 1:01:20, 7:40 pace, HR 138
22 Feb
10 miles, 1:16:06, 7:36 pace, HR 145
23 Feb
20 miles, 2:40:06, 8:00 pace, HR 136
Weekly Mileage: 64

No comments:

Post a Comment