Friday, April 27, 2012

Birthdays

There are two things in life for which we are totally unprepared: Twins.  (author: Josh Billings)
I still remember as if it were yesterday when my daughter Lola was born - only to be followed by her brother 19 minutes later. Today marks the eleventh repeat of said epic day.

That makes me feel soooooooo old!

Luckily, ultra running is mainly for old people, so I fit right in.

On Wednesday I started resurrecting the old tradition of a midweek medium-long run. It was only 13 miles this time round but will increase in length, assuming that I can stay ahead of the recovery curve, of course. That particular run went very well, but Thursday saw a marked deterioration in pace despite the effort being the same. It might have been the blustery wind, but I think the legs just weren't very fresh after the extra load, even though I didn't notice it.

In general, training is going very well so far. My HR keeps coming down for the same effort and the legs are definitely coming round after Connemara. I have no idea what another marathon will do to them, but I am reasonably hopeful that it won't trouble them unduly.

What does cause slight concern is my weight. I expected it to come down again as my training mileage is going up, especially since my post-Connemara/Easter chocolate binge has eased up significantly (they just could not keep up with the production). Instead, I am still gaining weight. I'm not too worried right now, and I'm not too fat to fit into my trousers just yet; I'd just prefer to weigh less, that's all.

The weather has been challenging a few times this week; on Wednesday morning a tree came down in high winds and blocked our road some time between 8:30 (when I passed by on my way to work) and 10:30 (when Niamh had to turn around) but today was a lovely, if cold, morning and the forecast for the next few days isn't too bad.

It doesn't matter all that much, I suppose. I will run whatever the weather.

25 Apr
13 miles, 1:38:43, 7:36 pace, HR 147
26 Apr
10 miles, 1:18:42, 7:52 pace, HR 144
27 Apr
10 miles, 1:16:42, 7:40 pace, HR 144

1 comment:

  1. My weight is still on the increase also, although i'm still in party mode for a few weeks. My second eldest is 18 next week!!! (and you think you're old)and the week after we have a comminion and a confirmation. See you next weekend in Limerick.

    ReplyDelete