Thursday, August 16, 2007

Doubled Up

I’ll say it first, the best thing about doing that double header this week was not to have to run up that hill again for a few days. Those who have commented that I’m fed up with hill repeats are only too right. I think hill repeats feel too much like work to me. As much as I want to improve as a runner, my main objective is to enjoy the time on my feet, and as far as those hill repeats go, well, enjoyment doesn’t quite cover it.

Anyway, the first part of the double header were 10 miles on Wednesday, with 2.5 easy miles to start with and 7.5 at marathon pace, 7:15. I ran out-and-back sections to Ard-na-Sidhe; each section is 2.5 miles long, which meant an easy jog on the first trip out, and 3 faster segments after that. At least it meant I didn’t have to think about where to speed up. It went pretty well, really. I’m generally hopeless at running at the correct effort whenever I have a specific pace in mind, but the faster 2.5 mile sections (target time: 18:07) went by in 18:05, 18:30 and 17:52 (7:14, 7:24, 7:08 pace). The reason for the slower middle section was a loss of concentration, something I had to fight with all the way through. I generally tried to reduce the effort on the inclines in order not to sap too much energy, and promptly forgot to push harder again on the next downhill. I caught myself napping quite a few times, but there was a longer bit in the middle of the run where I was daydreaming instead of pushing the pace, and it's reflected in the time. I tried not to make up for it on the last part and just run 7:15 again, but that didn’t quite work. However, the overall pace for the effort was almost exactly spot on, and I was pretty happy with it. 7:15 pace didn’t feel too bad either. At first I had my doubts if I could sustain that pace, but once I had tuned into it, it was definitely manageable, as long as I kept my mind at it.

I went to bed early last night, but going to bed early is all in vain if you just can’t manage to fall asleep. I very rarely have that problem, usually I’m zonked within half a minute, but last night I kept tossing and turning for well over an hour. It meant that I slept for less than 6 hours rather then the 7 anticipated. I was still tired when the alarm went off at 5am, but woke up soon enough once out on the road; the low temperatures made sure my mind started working. I ran back and forwards on the same road as yesterday, which isn’t too exciting, but well suited to that kind of workout. The idea was to run easily for 2.5 miles, 8:00 pace for the next 7.5 miles, 7:15 pace for the following 7.5 and easily on the 2.5 miles back home. I did give myself permission to turn around early on the last segment if I couldn’t keep the effort going, after all that was the first time I’ve tried to extend the fast part of the long run for such a distance. Previous efforts always saw a maximum of 4 or 5 faster miles. Anyway, the first half went by pretty easily, I managed to hit 8:00 pace almost exactly, and when I got to 10 miles, I accelerated. My main problem was the same as yesterday, namely to keep my concentration going. As soon as my mind started to wander I would invariably start to slow down, and I lost concentration quite a few times. It brought home the fact that I have to train my mind just as much as my legs. I don’t want to moan after the race that I could have run faster but forgot to do so. I didn’t quite hit the times required, the numbers for the 3 faster segments are 18:27, 18:17, 18:24 (7:22, 7:18, 7:21 pace), which is close but not quite. I reasoned that I had worn my lightweight runners on the day before, but my much heavier Asics Nimbus today and that should have accounted for about 5 seconds per mile. At least that’s my excuse, and I’ll stick to it. Despite missing the target, I was quite happy with the effort. It was definitely the best double header I’ve ever had, and with less than 8 weeks to go until the marathon it was about time to get at least close to marathon pace.

Maybe those hill workouts have had some effect and are responsible for the recent improvements. At least that would make the misery worthwhile.

15 Aug: 10 miles, 1:16:43, 7:40 pace, avg. HR 149; with 7.5 miles @ 7:15
16 Aug: 20 miles, 2:37:07, 7:51 pace, avg. HR 148; with 7.5 miles @ 7:59 and 7.5 miles @ 7:21

4 comments:

  1. The studies I've seen pretty much average out with a 1% increase in performance for every 100 grams of weight dropped from the feet (Noakes states this). If your Nimbus trainers weigh 100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) more than your DS Trainers, and you were running 7 minute pace, these results would mean you could run 4.2 seconds faster per mile without any extra effort.

    Now just think; What would happen with all the weight savings if you could run the marathon naked and barefoot?

    My guess is you would get arrested before you ever found out, though you could try it in San Francisco at Bay to Breakers and probably make it to the finish without being hand-cuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all in the shoes is it? I think you're doing a fine job running by feel mostly and will have the effort level down by race day. The concentration factor is important but remember the pace will feel slow and all those other runners will be distraction enough. Nice double!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have trouble falling asleep. I'm on my 11th day in a row of 5.5 to 6.5 hours of sleep. I'm thinking I might get 7.5 on Saturday night though...don't have to get out of bed that day till 6:30.

    Interesting theory about the shoes...there are several barefoot runners in our area. I haven't noticed that they are particularly fast though. I guess you could try Mike's suggestion of barefoot and naked and see if it gives you an increase - I'm sure you'd go faster when you were running from the local cops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always going to be a little hard to run marathon pace sessions in the midst of big training weeks. On the day, you'll probably be having to slow down to marathon pace in the early stages.

    Many times on our long runs we see kangaroos impressively clearing fences. They haven't got much endurance though, but I wouldn't mind a bit of their 'spring'.

    ReplyDelete